Monday 20 April 2015

Tom becomes British Champion

Tonbridge AC athlete Tom Bosworth (25) became British Champion for the fourth time at the weekend when he won the National 20k race walk title whilst competing in Hillingdon.

Tom who trains with coach Andi Drake at the National Race Walking Centre at Leeds Beckett University said; “it was a great confidence booster to win the national title for the fourth time, the time was not important to me today, it was all about finishing first. My performance has proved to me that I am in very good shape ahead of the European Cup in 4 weeks time".


The European Cup in Murcia, Spain sees the top race walkers in Europe come together to represent their countries, although Tom is the only British senior man to achieve the qualifying standard. "The European Cup will provide me with a high level of competition and I am proud to be representing Great Britain, it is the fourth time I have competed in the European Cup since making my debut as a Junior in 2009" said Tom.

After the European Cup, Tom will return to the track in the World Trials in Bedford in June, the first two finishers from that race will go on to represent Team GB at the World Athletics Championships in Beijing in August, provided that they have achieved the qualifying standard, which Tom has. "My whole season has been geared to towards the World Championships, it will give me a real indication of where I stand in world terms and will give me an idea of what I need to do ahead of the Rio Olympics next year".

Having already broken the British 10k record this year, a record that had stood for 26 years, Tom admits to having an eye on the 20k record. "I came very close to the 20k record in Switzerland recently" Tom said "“I am honoured to move the event on and I want to keep making the records faster, so the current crop of young race walkers will have to aim high to become the British No.1". "I’m planning to continue to push race walking back into the mainstream of athletics once again.” We certainly wouldn't bet against Tom doing that.


Off the track Tom has recently been appointed as an Ambassador for Athlete Ally – a non-profit organisation inspiring athletes to act as leaders championing lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) equality. He says: “In life I’ve learnt you can either sit by and watch others try to make a difference, or you can stand alongside those and make a difference with them, for you are always stronger together. That’s why I am so honoured to be an Athlete Ally Ambassador.”

You can find out more about Tom through his website www.tombosworth.com

Follow us on Twitter @17_management   @TomBosworth

#athlete #BritishChampion #athletics #RaceWalking

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.