Monday 14 September 2015

Jordanne Whiley - US Open Singles Champion


Jordanne Whiley made history on Sunday at the US Open after becoming the first British woman to win a wheelchair tennis Grand Slam singles title.


British No. 1 Jordanne, playing in her first women’s singles Grand Slam final, beat defending champion, her doubles partner, best friend and world No. 3 Yui Kamiji of Japan 6-4, 0-6, 6-1 in a match of fluctuating fortunes.

Jordanne saw an early break advantage disappear in the first set, only to regroup and take the last two games to seize the initiative. Kamiji raced through the second set, but Whiley returned from a comfort break before the final set with a renewed focus and stormed into a 5-0 lead.
 

Jordy then had her first five match points before Kamiji pulled a game back, but another thrilling final game eventually saw the Brit clinch a famous victory on her ninth championship point.

“It really hasn't sunk in that I've done it - I'm a singles Grand Slam champion! It was so strange playing Yui as she's my best friend and we've achieved so much in doubles together but it means I know her game so well,” said Jordanne, who will now go to a new career best singles world ranking on Monday after starting the US Open world ranked No.5.

“I felt bad seeing her crying at the end but that's tennis and I knew I could win it. I kept telling everyone that I could do it in singles as well and now I've finally proved it! Everything is clicking nicely ahead of Rio and now I can't wait to play at the Singles Masters in December and I want to win that too in front of a home crowd. 

“I'm going to treat myself to some pizza tonight but then it's back home and I'll keep working hard and build on this success” she added.
 
Jordanne had a great week in the singles in New York, beating home favourite Kaitlyn Verfuerth in straight sets and then world No. 2 Aniek Van Koot in a tough three set semi final, to set up the final with Kamiji.
 
Courtesy of Tennis Foundation.
 
Follow Jordanne on Twitter @JordanneJoyce92  and visit her website www.jordannewhiley.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.