Monday 9 March 2015

Hannah Russell breaks World Record!

Swimmer Hannah Russell from Ottershaw in Surrey achieved a ‘double’ at the weekend when she broke the World S12 100m Backstroke record not once, but twice! Hannah, 18, a member of Woking Swimming Club, was taking part in a competition in Bangor, Northern Ireland, as part of her World Championship preparations and broke the existing world record during her qualifying heat and then set a new record by breaking it again in the final in a time of 1:07:73.



World and European Champion, Hannah, who competed at the London 2012 Paralympics aged 16 and won three medals, also won five medals at the 2013 World Championships and a further six at the 2014 European Championships; she said “delivering a world record performance whilst in a hard phrase of training has given me a lot of confidence with the national trials only a couple of weeks away. I am currently feeling strong and with the insight from my coach Rob Greenwood and the support staff at the National Performance Centre (in Manchester) I am excited to see what performances I can deliver come the trials for the World Championships this summer. The National Performance Centre as a whole has helped me enormously, and I can honestly say I am the fittest and strongest I've ever been before”.

At the national trials, Hannah will be looking to qualify for the 2015 IPC World Championships which are being held in Glasgow in July “following the success of the Commonwealth Games last year, I am looking forward to competing in Glasgow” said Hannah “the experience will be incredible”. “The Worlds are the last major championships before the Paralympic Games in Rio in 2016 and they will be a good opportunity to show what I can achieve”. You can follow Hannah’s progress to Rio on Twitter and through her website www.hannahrussellgb.com

Follow us on Twitter 

#paraswimming #worldrecord #WorldChampionships #Paralympics

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.