Monday 24 August 2015

World Championship debut for Tom Bosworth in Beijing


Tom Bosworth (25) competed in his first IAAF World Championship races in Beijing at the weekend.

Tom represented the British team in the 20km race walk, finishing in a time of 1:23:58, making him the 8th placed European to finish and giving him 24th place overall.

On completing the race Tom said; "it was pretty tough out there, it was all going to plan until around 13, 14 kilometres then the heat and humidity just hit me. I had prepared at altitude in the heat for this, my body felt great, but it's an endurance event and sometimes these things just hit you, I just felt rubbish".
 
Photo courtesy of Jon Mulkeen
"It has been a great experience, I don't think I could have come to a better place to debut in my first ever World Championships, I didn't feel out of place, I didn't feel overwhelmed, I felt very much at home at this level and I have learnt a lot".

"I now know that I can push on to higher places. I should have broken the British record today (which has stood at 1:22:03 since the 1988 Seoul Olympics) I was ahead of schedule but I just couldn't hold on". 

"I'm still progressing massively and I feel like I have yet another big step in me in the next 12 months or so, that's how my progression has been going. The future is really exciting. I'd love to be much closer to the front, maybe top twelve in Rio next and year and then it's the World Champs in London in 2017. I want to be right at the front then".

Tom, who trains with coach Andi Drake at the National Race Walking Centre at Leeds Beckett University, was one of a handful of athletes in the British team who receives no financial support. Having recently lost a major sponsor when Lloyds Bank withdrew from sponsoring their talented athlete programme, he would love to hear from any companies that would like to partner with him and be part of his exciting journey to the Rio Olympics and the London World Championships.
 
Follow Tom on Twitter @TomBosworth 
Visit his website www.tombosworth.com
 
#Athletics #RaceWalk #World #Championships #Rio2016 #London2017

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.